Ubuntu 8.04 Problems and Conclusions

. Saturday, April 26, 2008
  • Agregar a Technorati
  • Agregar a Del.icio.us
  • Agregar a DiggIt!
  • Agregar a Yahoo!
  • Agregar a Google
  • Agregar a Meneame
  • Agregar a Furl
  • Agregar a Reddit
  • Agregar a Magnolia
  • Agregar a Blinklist
  • Agregar a Blogmarks

I know its been a while since I've updated my blog but I want to help get the word out about the latest Ubuntu 8.04, Hardy Heron. First I'd like to say that I have been a big fan of the Open Source world for quite a long time. Anytime you can take free (not just in the cost since) and have it compete and become better than paid closed source software is wonderful.

With that said, here are my trials and tribulations with Ubuntu 7.10 and upgrading to 8.04 and issues I had with the OS. I started off with Ubuntu 7.10, Feisty Fawn on my Compaq Presario M2301NR. When I installed 7.10 the first time out, it was difficult because I didn't realize what a pain the Broadcom Wireless drivers would be. I have the Broadcom 4318 (AirForce One) chipset in my laptop. In order to get the wireless to work properly, I had to install NDISWrapper and use the windows drivers in linux. After about 3 hours of reading and searching for forum posts at UbuntuForums I found a link that works and that helped me. The drivers worked flawlessly for me. I had issues with the way Ubuntu handled networks and how I had to manually switch between them, but all in all I was pleased. No viruses, spy ware, and easy to use. I couldn't ask for more.

Fast forward to Apr 24Th. I see on slashdot that 8.04 has just be released! I, being a happy convert, was excited to see a new version. I then use the software updater to grab the latest versions and to upgrade. When the updater said it was going to take 17 Hours.....I was unhappy to say the least. So I get the Alternative Install CD and start upgrading using that. Well, it upgraded fine, but destroyed my network settings including NDISWrapper. I still had managed to get the old NDIS files I had used but it wouldn't work.

I spent the next day attempting to get it to work. Then I remembered I had a 1:1 copy of my laptop stored on my desktop. Well, lady luck seemed to have her fill of me yesterday because my desktop died on boot and I'm assuming my info went with that valiant and brave computer. So I'm stuck with no Working wireless on my laptop, no main computer to fetch files with and no means of connecting to the Internet. I luckily found someone who had a working wireless connection and convinced them to allow me to use their Internet for about 10 minutes while I search for an answer. I found info on what to do using fwcutter and b43xx drivers. After 2 days I finally have working Internet against all odds. I'll post what I did to fix it shortly. If I can help one person fix their Internet, I'll have fulfilled my duty as an Open Source follower.